Friday, May 22, 2009

Distinctly Average!

There aren't too many jobs in life where, if you are successful 30% of the time, you are considered at the pinnacle of your profession!

That's baseball. I've read that hitting a round ball with a round bat, and getting the ball to go in the direction you wish, is one of the hardest things to do in sport...personally I think taking a beating from a heavyweight in the ring is probably tougher...but do you believe getting paid millions of dollars to be good 3 times out of 10 is fair? Try that at work and see what happens... "Don't worry boss, I'm sure I'll get it right next time..."

That's the curiosity of sport in the US. Success is measured in percentages... A basketball player is elite if he makes 50 or 60% of his shots...a baseball player is 'hall of fame' material for hitting .300.

Not so in England; if a place kicker in rugby misses 3 out of 10 he's having a bad day. A footballer misses 3 penalties in a row, he's done, get the next guy! An England cricketer gets 3 'ducks', sack him, he's crap! Why the difference? Do the English demand greater excellence from their stars? I wouldn't have thought so...Are American sports tougher...? I don't think so... so what is it?

Admittedly, I've been in a hitting cage and it is tough to hit a baseball, mind you I found it hard to hit a cricket ball too when I was younger! And if you're 7 foot tall and it's all you do day in day out, should putting a ball in a basket be that tough?

I don't have the answers, it just made me think...comments welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment