Sunday, May 30, 2010

Decision time nears for Capello


So there is one game left, and about 48 hours or so before Fabio Capello will make seven telephone calls to end the hopes of seven young men. According to the England manager he already knows 20 of the men he will be taking to South Africa.

"I more or less know," Capello said. "Not 23 but maybe 20. It will be disappointing when I have to tell some of the players that they must go home because all the players here have trained really well. I am really happy with their focus and the job they have done. But I have to choose."

The rest face Japan in Austria on Sunday knowing they have one last chance to shine and press their case for inclusion. The most likely candidates for the axe include Michael Dawson, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Scott Parker. Tom Huddlestone and Darren Bent both start against Japan knowing a failure will probably end their hopes too.

Leighton Baines and Stephen Warnock are disputing the right to be Ashley Cole's understudy at left-back, while Joe Cole and Adam Johnson would appear to be scrapping over the remaining berth for left midfield, probably off the bench.

Interestingly Capello has said that he won't be consulting his captain or other experienced players when making his final selection. "No. I won't talk to the senior players," he said. "If I lose I want to know it has been because of my decisions." I like that - bravery - buck stops here...

As for Gareth Barry, we still wait and see..."Barry has improved a lot. The last news was good," said Capello. "But we have to wait and see what the doctor says. After that, we will know if he will be fit in a short time and ready to train with us, or whether he won't be ready.

"He has to be able to train normally the day after the first game. He is doing a lot of physiotherapy to get the movement going and is following what the doctor says. But I don't know if he is running yet."


No comments:

Post a Comment