Sunday, May 30, 2010

Japan 1 v England 2

So another apparently unconvincing performance by England, but I can't really comment on the game as I have yet to watch it (it's sat on the DVR waiting for me). But not that the result of these games matter because they are, after all, glorified experiments, but England have been winning ugly and that is good for confidence running into a big tournament.

The question now is who will make the plane? Capello says he already knows the 23 he will take, but do you? Here's my guess of the 7 that will get the dreaded phone call on Tuesday morning telling them to go enjoy the summer and go on holiday with the WAGs.

Bent, Huddlestone, Warnock, Carrick (if Barry is fit), Milner, Dawson, Heskey (I would send him home, but Rooney does play well with him, so he may stay for that reason...)

Joe Cole insists England having a successful World Cup is more important than his own battle to be part of the final squad. Cole is sweating on his place for South Africa but came off the bench as a second half substitute to set up the equaliser in today's 2-1 win over Japan in Austria. I would take Cole because he has World Cup experience, and he does have individual skills and trickery that England haven't really seen since Paul Gascoigne 10 or 15 years ago.

When asked about his selection, or non-selection Cole said: "Do I have any nerves? You've got to be pragmatic about it. I came here 10 days ago to try to enjoy my time back here, train well, and it's in the manager's hands about the squad. There are a lot of players who will be hoping, a lot of players have got a good case. But, whatever happens, we are all right behind England and hopefully this will be our time."

"Have I done enough? I don't want to go into that," he said. "I came here 10 days ago. I had a good finish to the season, I wasn't starting but I was having an impact coming off the bench. I came here and did my thing and I've enjoyed it because it has been such a long time. Croatia was my last game and I ended up with 10 stitches in my head. It is just nice to be back around the lads and it feels great."

Cole added: "I don't know what I will do on Tuesday. I've never been in this position. I don't know. It is a funny atmosphere. There is nothing you can do. We've done everything we can do, we've trained hard, everyone has had an excellent week's training and that's all you can do. I'll wake up, have my breakfast and there we go..."

No comments:

Post a Comment