Monday, May 24, 2010

Something to be scared of...

With just under 18 days to go now, Diego Maradona, coach of the Argentina team, has made a frightening statement that if true could have a great impact on the destination of this summer's World Cup trophy. What did he say that should send a shiver down the spine of 31 other national team managers? Simply... "Messi is better than me!"

Lionel Messi is often criticised as an under-performer when playing for his country; but according to his national team manager, he is a better player than Maradona was when he pretty much single-handedly won the World Cup for Argentina in 1986.

Should Messi be able to reach the heights of Maradona's performances in Mexico in 1986, then Argentina with all their other talent could be a very hard team to beat when it all kicks off in 17 days and about 20 hours! Unfortunately if Argentina were to win, I'd never hear the end of it from my wife and her family in Patagonia!


In the meantime I'm looking forward to England kicking off their warm-up match against Mexico in a couple of hours; if you're in the US you can watch it live on Fox Soccer Channel at 3pm Eastern/Noon here in Arizona. Here's hoping for a solid performance, and more importantly no injuries!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with Diego on this one. I believe that Messi will prove to be the best player we've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I'd like to disagree and say "No no no, it'll be Rooney", I think I have to agree with you Laurence. He certainly could make this stage his own in June!

    ReplyDelete