Saturday, June 26, 2010

16 down...

So we're down to the round of 16 - 48 matches played, 16 games to go... starting with the two games today...including the big one on this side of the pond, the US v Ghana. However exciting that will be, and we will be watching it and cheering on the US on Saturday afternoon, the big day in this household is Sunday, when my Argentine wife and German Shepherd dog will be ganging up against me and the England boys...

Saturday
Uruguay (16) v South Korea (47)
United States (14) v Ghana (32)

Sunday 
Germany (6) v England (8)
Argentina (7) v Mexico (17)

Monday
Netherlands (4) v Slovakia (34)
Brazil (1) v Chile (18)

Tuesday
Paraguay (31) v Japan (45)
Spain (2) v Portugal (3)

I picked only 11 of these 16 teams to make it this far, and I only got 5 of the 8 group winners right, so I'm not going to put my neck out and pick winners here!

If you were wondering what the goals per game ratio has climbed to - see my earlier post - well this is still on course to be the lowest scoring World Cup ever. After 48 games, we've had 101 goals - that's 2.10 goals per game. That's lower than Italia 90 - the previous lowest scoring tournament.  Portugal and Argentina are the leading scorers with 7 each (although Portugal got their 7 in 1 game against North Korea so I'm not sure if that counts)

In preparation for the US game later; here's ESPN's preview of the US v Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment